3.30.2008

The New Car

                 


             

     During the last couple of months, Grant and I have had a little disagreement on something that I thought would NEVER come up in our marriage.  I wanted to get a new (which still means used-car to me) car and he wanted to wait.   For those of you who know Grant also know that he is a big fan of cars, which is why this surprised me when we had this disagreement, even after we test drove a 3-series BMW (one of his favorites).  For the last couple of weeks we had been talking about what kind of car we would get and we kept leaning towards a Toyota Highlander or a Honda Pilot.  So last Saturday, we decided to go test drive some and see which one we did like better.  
We both really liked the safety features and how well the Highlander drove and they also had one with low miles in the color we wanted.  So after several hours of walk-out threats, scoffs over pricing, strait out bargaining and even a prayer we ended up driving home with the Toyota.  We didn't know buying a car was such a metaphysical experience.  
I  keep trying to get Grant to drive it more, but he insists on letting me drive it.  I get to drive it to work (since I'm driving for two now) and I make Grant drive the older car (we'll see if he disagrees with me next time about something).  I accidentally ruined the tire on our old Nissan Sentra when I filled it with over 90 lbs of pressure!  I'm lucky to be alive, and even luckier now that Grant doesn't trust me to fill the tires with air, and he does it all the time.
     Since we decided to start this blog, I thought some pictures of the new car would be nice.  So when I asked Grant if he wanted to help me take some pictures he jumped out of his seat, grabbed my hand like a giddy little school girl with a pretty new pet.  Then, we drove around looking for what he called "potential sites"  while waiting for the light to turn "the right shade of gold"  Fortunately these potential sites seem to be fairly common and in no time at all he took over 15 pictures of the car.  Fortunately for you, reader, I have only posted a small portion.  
Please note the odometer, a classic e-bay car photo.  Grant and his family have purchased many vehicles from e-bay, some by accident, some intentionally.  We currently have one of the "accidentals" as he calls it, in the parking lot.  At any rate, Grant is a pro at taking photos of cars, a skill I had no idea even existed!  In fact, the simple act of buying a used car from a dealership has caused quite a stir.  They all seem pretty excited for us, but I secretly suspect that Grant has me drive the car because he refuses to drive one that hasn't been purchased on e-bay.  I don't want to ask him about it, though, he may start wanting to drive it.
Also, please note the excellent lighting that compliments the golden brown color of the car,  I hope you appreciate the thought that went into the photos.  We had to travel through the wilds of Phoenix to get the perfect photo, I hope you enjoy it!

15 comments:

RFC said...

90 lbs of pressure! What on earth were you doing?!

sara said...

Richie still won't let me put air in the Golf's tires, and it's almost five years old!
Your new car is super cute.

The Dunnes said...

I am so glad you are blogging! I recently picked it up to, mainly for my parents... I love your story- you always have me laughing! I love and miss you! Congrats on the baby! I'm so excited for you guys!!!!!!

The P*dunc's said...

The lighting in those photos are AMAZING, Grant! You should go pro, really!

Funny story!

Kristine said...

Beautiful car and incredible pictures! Glad you're back on blogging too. Love you both!

White Out said...

Well seeing i'm not the first one to post a comment, I really don't see any point of continuing this comment. I just wanted to be the first one to do so. I mean what in the world were these people doing up at these times. Especially you kristine 7:12 in the morning. We both live in the same time zone. I can let the others slide because of time differences. But you, you've always gotta one up me don't you.

Staci said...

Hey thats awesome I love the car Congrats on the baby I am due in June with #2 but our blog is www.kirklandfam.blogspot.com so come and check us out

Nances said...

Yeah...I am glad that you've succombed to blogging! It really is a fun way to stay in touch. I love the new car. You'll like having a car that is higher up once you are doing the carseat thing. Keep posting!

Jason, Kiersten, Jace, and Livi Bree said...

I was so happy when I found your blog off of dave and karlie's. That is so exciting that you are having a baby! Oh, and I love the new car.

Lindsey said...

So cute- I saw it in the parking lot and have been meaning to congratulate you. :) I especially love the picture of the dash that includes Grant's hand blocking out the sun.
It's a perfect first baby car and I LOVE the color. We need to get together soon. We have been missing you guys. We still want to take you out on a double date! Let's plan that sometime in the next two weeks.

MsSandy said...

I'm liking it, it's nice to see what your up to, from Calif. Your even motivating me to blog...not buy a car.

Josh said...

Can't believe the new car does not have the BMW logo on it... perhaps you could glue one on?
I hope we can get together soon... I really miss you guys.
We are going to move to Roosevelt and I'll start as a primary therapsit as soon as we sell our house!

Charlie and JD said...

Hey Mother Teresa! I have not talked to you for ever! That is so awesome that you and Grant are having a baby! Brock is almost 2! Can you belive that- we'll I just wanted to say HI and I will email you later when I have more time.
Love- Charlie

Mother Goose said...

BMW 3 and 5 series are my favorite too!!

Ashlyn

Britt said...

Well it has seriously been FOREVER since I last talked to you!!! Wow, I can't believe I stumbled across your blog. So much has changed since my good old student days in tech hall (don't think I care to forget those). Congrats on the baby!! Let me know how things are going!

Britt